Toomsboro Ga. 2007
Wilkinson County, Ga. Towns/Communities
Aka Cross Roads, Allen's Crossroads,
Sits in Wilkinson, Twiggs & Lauren's counties. John Allen postmaster
here in 1887. John Allen postmaster here in 1891. J.H. Lamb was postmaster
here in 1893. Incorporated 1901. Dr. E. J. Denson - Mayor; P. W.
L. Meadows, J. W. Allen, W. M. Allen, J. T. Land and A. H. Rosar,
Esqs., - Aldermen. Population in 1910 - 150.
details of incorporation. 1899
Community near Twiggs line, northwest. Families:
King, Storey, Hatfield, Holliman, Johnson, Brooks. I. F. Johnson
was postmaster here in 1887, W.A. Johnson was acting postmaster in 1889.
J.H. Wyatt was postmaster here in 1891. Narcissus C. Brooks in 1902. 1899
Railroad stop at the bauxite mines on Central
of Georgia. 1916
Railroad stop on Central of Georgia between
Toomsboro and the Oconee River. Postmaster in 1891 was Clark Grier, 1893
the postmaster was H. J. Ivey. In 1912 the population was 50.
Was old community north of McIntyre on 441.
District courthouse and voting place at one time. The post office was established
here in 1858. M. M. Bloodworth was the first postmaster. J. K. Brannan
was postmaster here in 1883. James H. Bloodworth was postmaster here in
1885, 1886, 1887, 1889, 1891; Sarah F. Eady was postmistress here in 1893.
Bonds Mill was here in 1820 and a post office
established here in 1838, W. F. Bond was the postmaster. Was north of Toomsboro
near Baldwin County line, now Black Creek Plantation. Shinholser family
lived near here.
According to Charles Elvis Butler,
County History, Butler & Other Pioneer Family Descendents in Middle
Georgia From Earliest Known Origins To The Millennium, Boxwood was
a mercantile and farming community located on what is now Hwy.96. Named
after the Butler plantation home Boxwood. A post office was
established by Elizabeth Adeline Butler July 14, 1885 who was the first
postmistress. Elizabeth Adeline Butler's son Rufus Howell Butler
was appointed postmaster April 18, 1895. 1899
Community near Wilkinson/Jones counties
Community between Ivey and 441 North near
Snow Hill. Map
Claymont aka Clayfields
Kaolin Mines and Community between
McIntyre and Gordon. Hogues lived here.
Old community near present day McIntyre.
A. Chambers was postmaster here in 1883.
W.W. Walden was postmaster here in 1887, 1889, 1891
Community southwest off Hwy 112.
Cool Spring (s)
Located near Allentown. Post office known as
Cool Spring established in March 1828. 1854 Cool Spring Description:
" a post-office of Wilkinson county, Georgia, about 35 miles south from
Milledgeville." Willis Allen was postmaster here in 1854. Alex Stuckey
was postmaster here in 1883. W.T. Rogers postmaster here in 1887, 1889,
1891 and 1893. 1864
Danville, Aka Hughes.
In Wilkinson & Twiggs counties. I. N.
Maxwell was postmaster here in 1893. Incoporated 1905.
W. R. Hayne- Mayor, J. N. Holloway,
J. B. Johnston and L. C. Miller - councilmen
Central of Ga. railroad stop and community
at kaolin mines and company west of McIntyre
Central of Ga. railroad stop at kaolin mines
and company west of McIntyre
Emmitt aka Station 15
Post office established here in 1842 Thomas
McIntyre was the postmaster. 1854 Description - a post-village of
Wilkinson county, Georgia, on the Central railroad, 40 miles E. from Macon.
"Emmitt was located 1½ miles east of Toomsboro at the home of Thomas
McIntyre, a native of Ireland who had come as an assistant of his uncle,
of the the contractors who built the Central of Georgia railroad. He bought
the land there and built his house there. In 1849 he was accidently killed
while repairing the Oconee River bridge. His widow whose maiden name was
Sarah Crowell Floyd, of Washington County, continued to live with their
2 children Stephen F. and __, at Emmitt." Victor Davidson,
of Wilkinson County, 1865
Community Northwest of Irwinton.
Community located between Gordon and McIntyre.
Glenella school and the St. Benedict Catholic church was here.
Community north of McIntyre . See
Named in honor
of W. W. Gordon, the first president of Central of Georgia railroad. "when
the land was surveyed, Jackson Leslie owned the land where Gordon now is,
his home being located where Ed Ward's house now stands, but he prospect
of all his cattle and domestic animals being killed by the trains and the
injury to his lands, was so dismaying to them that he sold his plantation
to David Solomon, who built his home which is now the Gordon Hotel. The
Gordon and Covington branch of the road was begun in 1851." Victor Davidson,
of Wilkinson County.
1842, Macon Georgia Telegraph
The Town of Gordon. - We are pleased to
learn that the Directors of the Central Rail Road Company have selected
a prommentaue on the side of the Road, for a town, to be named Gordon,
in honor of the late President of the Company. It is located in Wilkinson
county, one hundred and seventy miles from Savannah, twenty from Macon,
and fourteen from Milledgeville, and will be the Depot for a great portion
of middle Georgia, say Wilkinson, Baldwin, Pulaski, Dooly, Laurens, Twiggs,
and a portion of Putnam, Jasper and Jones. As regards hereto, no places
in this sequin of the state posses greater advantages than Gordon. It is
on the dividing ridge between the Oconee and Ocmulgee rivers, many miles
distant from swampland of any description, and abounds in the most excellent
water. Sandersville Tel. Submitted by R.
Post office was
here in 1846.
1854 Description - a thriving post-village
of Wilkinson county, Georgia, on the Central railroad, at the junction
of the Milledgeville railroad, 80 miles E. from Macon. Large quantities
of cotton are exported from this place. It has 6 dry-goods stores, and
does an extensive grocery
2, 1861, The New York Times.
A Georgia paper states that the town
of Gordon, situated on the Central Railroad at the junction of the road
to Milledgeville, has, by an ordinance duly drawn up, signed, and adopted
by a meeting of the citizens of the place, formally seceded from Wilkinson
county, State of Georgia. The narrator proposes to call it the independent
City of Gordon.
Washington J. Solomon was postmaster
here in 1854. C. E. Frasuer was postmaster here in 1887. Francis. A. Nelson
was postmaster here in 1883, 1890, 1891 and 1893. Population
in 1910 - 702. Incoporated in 1916. See
South west. 1883
Community northeast county.Post office here
in 1903. 1915
Seat. aka Bethel, High Hill. Named after Gov. Jared Irwin Incorporated
1816. See Details.
Commissioners : Solomon Worrel, David Roland, Adam Hunter, Peter M'Arthur
and William Beck. In 1842 George K. Holloway was named postmaster
replacing Charles Culpepper.
a pleasant post-village, capital of Wilkinson County, Georgia, 20 miles
S. from Milledgeville, and 3 miles from the Central railroad. It has a
court house, 2 churches, and several stores. Irwinton
Arps view of "Irwington" Population in 1910 - 249. Postmasters:
Daniel S. Pierce 1812.
John S Barry 1828; S.B. Murphy 1839.
Richard L. Story 1854. Patrick Ward 1865. A. W Baum 1883, 1887. S.
A. Hatfield 1893.
Community northwest of Gordon, on Central of
Ga. Railroad. Named for Charles Ivey. In 1887 Lillian C. Smith was postmistress.
In 1889 T. M. Donnelly was postmaster. In 1892 -1899 S. P. Hornsby was
the postmaster, railroad and express agent and had a general store and
mill here; Dr. E. T. Gilmore was the resident physician and
J. H. Bateman had a lumber mill. Lake Tchukolaho is here. 1899
Map Population in 1910 - 75. Incoporated in 1950. Some
Community near Twiggs County line on Central
of Ga. Railroad, Post Office here in 1889 and L. F. Lavender was the postmaster
om 1890 & 1892; J. L. McWilliams was the postmaster in 1893.
Community northwest of Toomsboro on Hwy 112.
Stubbs Store. John S. Spence was the postmaster here in 1889 - 1893. 1899
Community on Hwy. 112 SW
Massey Hill aka Ramah
Historic community south of Gordon, Ramah
Church & New Hope Church are here
Map Railroad station on Central of Georgia. Was orginally called Kingston.
Post office here from 18470-1855. Leroy Fleetwood was postmaster here in
1854. 1854 Description- "a post-village of Wilkinson co., Georgia,
on the Central railroad, 18 miles S. from Milledgeville."
McIntyre aka Station No.
A tract of two hundred
and one-fourth acres of land was puchased from M.N. Murphy in 1856 and
the house now occupied by Henry Price, Jr. (1930), was built. A depot was
erected. It was also desired to move the station from Emmitt to the present
Toomsboro. A trade was made with Mrs. McIntyre for her lands at Emmitt,
giving her the dwelling at McIntyre, making her the new agent for the new
depot, and naming the station McIntyre. Victor Davidson, History of
Post office here
in 1859 Incorporated 1910, (See
details) Mayor, J. E. Hollomon; Councilmen, W. W. Walden, H. Price,
Jr., A. Temples and C. E. Todd. Population in 1910 - 75. 1916
Community west of Irwinton. Post office here
in 1851. Mail came fron Emmitt Station once a week per Augusta Chronicle
March 3, 1851. Poplar Springs Church is here. Sherman's soldiers camped
here while on the march to the sea.
Centered around Salem Church. Map
of Mingo) Mingo
Old community in Bloodworth district, north
of McIntyre. Mt Carmel Church and school were here.
Railroad station on Central of Georgia.1915
Railroad stop on Central of Georgia.
Community near Twiggs line. New Providence churchs
are here. John F. Burke was the postmaster in 1883 and 1887 . 1899
Community at Crossroads of 112 and 441 S.
Mt. Tilla Church is here.
For a delightful look at the community,
its citizens and happenings, in the mid 1880's
see the news articles
from The Dublin Post under Nickleville items.
Community in southern part of county 8 miles
northeast of Allentown. Post office here in 1901.
Community northwestern section of county near
Gordon centered around Ramah Church. Post office here 1823, discontinued
in 1828. By 1842 it was re-established and the postmaster was Ephriam Lewis.
Community on 441 S. about 6 miles south of Irwinton
settled arond Red Level Church. Post office here. In 1889, 1891 Lyman.
A. Hall was the postmaster. J. A Smith was the postmaster in
1893. Red Level church was here, cemeteries are here. 1899
Post office was discontinued in 1839
Community northeast of Gordon.
Solomon's Mills aka Solons
Mills (on some maps)
Gristmill owned by Solomons near Gordon.
Stephensville aka Stevensville,
Community south of Toomsboro on Hwy. 112.
Post office here in 1851. Mail came fron Emmitt Station once a week per
Chronicle March 3, 1851. James. R. Rawls was postmaster in 1887, 1889,
1891 and 1893. The population in 1900 was 50. 1883
Thad's Crossing aka Youngbloods
Corner, "Black Cat"
Named for Thaddeus Youngblood who settled here.
Crossing at 441 N, Mount Carmel Rd and R.C. Starley Rd. Almost unrecognizable
since divided highway was built.
Named after Brig. Gen Robert Toombs. Post office
here in 1851. James Jackson was the postmaster here in 1854.
In 1859 James Lord and Stephen Sutton bid on carrying the mail between
Toomsboro and Laurens Hill (Laurens County), 30 miles, route 6020. Stephen
Sutton won and was paid $199 per annum. James Ira Deese postmaster and
railway agent in 1862. In 1871 J.M. Boone, Jr and W. A. Deason bid
on carrying the mail from here to Dublin, 23 miles and back, once a week.
W. A. Deason won, bid $325, took offer of $500 per annum to run twice a
week. In 1875 Merritt Cheek took the mail from here to Laurens Hill, 29
miles and back, once a week. Paid $435 per annum. In 1876 the mail was
carried from here to Dublin by Benjamin L. Dyer * Matthew H. Harris, of
La Fayette, Ala at $430 per annum. Local bidders were John J. Weaver,
J. E. Perry, Thomas J. Hogan, Jere F. Files, J. D. Rawlins, E. W. Parker.
In 1887 J. R. Freeman carried the mail from here to Lightfoot, 7 miles,
3 times a week for 130 per annum. J. W. Holland postmaster in 1883
and 1887. L. Baum postmaster in 1891 and 1893. Incorporated
1904. See Details. H. A. Hall-
Mayor, W. H. Freeman, J. T. Hobbs, M. W. Pournell, P. C. Lord and J. A.
Ashley- Councilmen. Population was 404 in 1910. 1916
Weaver's Toomsboro Pages (link)
Community almost on Twiggs line. 1864
Wriley aka Station No.
Was Central of Ga. Railroad station east of
McIntyre. "At one time Wriley was the nearest point to Irwinton and probably
the biggest shipping point in the county being patronized by the town of
Irwinton. Old-timers say that Leroy Fleetwood owned all the land for a
great distance all around Wriley, and refused to sell any to the railroad
for a warehouse. The CGR made him its agent there and he used his store
as the depot. The narrative goes on the say that he insisted on selling
whiskey at his place of business in spite of the protest of the railroad
company, thinking that he was so strongly entrenched by owning all the
land that the railroad company was obliged to use his store as a depot.
Whereupon the company put into effect some sweeping changes. First a tract
of two hundred and one-fourth acres of land was puchased from M.N. Murphy
in 1856 and the house now occupied by Henry Price, Jr. (1930), was built.
A depot was erected. It was also desired to move the station from Emmitt
to the present Toomsboro. A trade was made with Mrs. McIntyre for her lands
at Emmitt, giving her the dwelling at McIntyre, making her the new agent
for the new depot, and naming the station McIntyre. The agency at Wriley
was abandoned, and the station at Emmitt moved to Toomsboro." Victor Davidson,
of Wilkinson County. 1916 Map