10, 1809 by ____ Castleberry, Cornelius Batchelor, Thomas McGinty,
____McGinty, John Proctor, Adam Jones, Ella Jones, Fanny Proctor, Allen
Gay and Abigail Gay.
First a member of the Ocmulgee Association, it became a member in 1814 of the new Ebenezer Association which was formed at Old Cool Spring Church in Allentown.
members after 1819 from Historical Collections
of Wilkinson County by Joe Maddox lists:
Borden Aycock, Ellender Aycock, Lydia Barber, John Batchelor, Nancy Batchelor, Brother Boggs, James Branan, Sarah Branan, Nathan Bush, Ann Cannon, Nathaniel Cobb, Warren Dykes, Ellender Fountain, Jackson Fountain, Lewis Fountain, Polly Gore, Allen Hardie, Membrane Heath, Nancy Heath, Allen Jones, Jane Jones, Priscilla Jones, Esther Lamber, George J. Leslie, Silas Leslie, James R. Lewis, Rebecca Munch, Polly Odum, Elizabeth Patterson, Nancy Pearson, William Ryle, Aaron Sanders, Malachi Sanders, Polly Shores, Archibald B. Smith, William Spivey, Abraham Stevens, Jacob Stevens, Benjamin Underwood, Rachael Witt, Elinder Young, Mariah Young, Mary Young
Ramah Church became a member of the Ebernezer
Primitive Baptist Association in 1836. Some clerks of the church were Joel
Rivers 1834-1842, James R. Lewis, 1842 - 1862, Thomas R. Whitaker, 1862.
Columbus Hogan 1862 & 1862. John McArthur 1863-1890 and 1897 to 1905.
J. J. McArthur 1904 - 1929.
Some Pastors: John Ross, Adams Jones, David Smith, A. Stephens, Adam Jones, Lampkin Vandiver, John Evers, A. Black, David Bassit, Lynch B. Porter, William Porter, L. B. Porter, James Granade, William M. Cooper, W.F. Rogers, J. I. Keel, W. B. Carr, John Gresham, T. G. Wright
The present church was built in 1861. Building committe members were John McArthur, Thomas R. Whitaker, William Ryle, members of the church and W. M. Whitehurst and J. W. Branan. When Sherman's army came through in 1864 a portion of his troops encamped at Ramah. The locks of the church were broken and it was used as the officer's headquarters. In additon, a part of the church equipment was taken away.
Source: Victor Davidson's History of Wilkinson County.
Church history is available at Jack Tarver Library at Mercer University.
Eileen Babb McAdams Copyright 2002-2006