Troup County Militia District
The formation of new districts was granted from the office
of the secretary of state of Georgia, and they were numbered by that office
in the order of creation throughout the state. Hence the smaller numbers are
the oldest districts. The first three were formed in 1826 or 1827. The
following are the present districts, the boundaries of which may be seen on
the accompanying map of the districts, Georgia Militia Districts, (usually
abbreviated G. M. D.) with the names and numbers.
656 East Vernon.
697 Rough Edge, formerly Pleasant Hill.
699 O'Neal's Mill.
701 West Point.
735 West Vernon.
804 Long Cane.
1086 Pool's Mill, created May, 1853.
1689 Salem, created April, 1910.
The names of these districts are suggested by the muster locality in all the districts but that of Rough Edge. The original name of this district was Pleasant Hill. In this district the momentous question of building the little courtroom, a small building about sixteen by twenty feet in dimensions, and the cost of lumber wherewith to build, were serious political questions. After the decision to build was reached, it was decided to submit to the voters the difference in cost of building the house with "Square Edge" or "Rough Edge" lumber. The election was ordered and "Rough Edge" carried a majority of the votes, and gave the new name of Rough Edge to the old Pleasant Hill district.
You can read up more about the specific Militia of Troup County in the following article.
Source: History of Troup County, Smith, Clifford L.; Atlanta, Ga.: Printed by Foote & Davies Co., c1935, 330 pgs.